Request a rental guarantee

In this article, you will find all the information about the rental deposit and the role of your financial institution.

If you rent a flat or a house, your rental contract usually includes a deposit. Here you can read about the ways in which a rental guarantee is possible.

Rental guarantees come in different forms:

  • A blocked account into which you deposit two months' rent as the tenant.

  • A rent guarantee loan from the Vlaams Woningfonds (Flemish housing fund).

    • Is your rental house or rental flat in the Flemish Region, was your rental agreement concluded on or after 1 January 2019 and do you want a rental guarantee? If so, you can apply for a rent guarantee loan from the Flemish Housing Fund.

    • The loan is granted on the basis of your income, among other things.

    • You can no longer get a bank guarantee from your bank in Flanders. However, you can still open a blocked rent guarantee account.

  • A bank guarantee equal to three months' rent. 

    • You can only use a bank guarantee if your rented house or flat is located in the Walloon or Brussels-Capital Region.

    • As a tenant, you reconstitute the guarantee via fixed monthly deposits at your bank. You have a maximum of three years to do this.

    • If you want a bank guarantee, contact your bank.

  • A deposit based on an agreement between the Public Centre for Social Welfare (CPAS/OCMW) and the bank for an amount equal to 3 months' rent.